Thursday, April 17, 2014

Farewell Helmet, Hello New Blue

Recently, I conducted a little helmet research.  I visited a couple reputable sites and learned that the life of a rider's helmet is about five years or one fall from a horse.  Since I have been riding Harley lightly this spring, I determined that a new helmet was most likely in order.  I figured that my helmet is probably about five years old by now and should be replaced.  So I checked the date of manufacture on the inside of my helmet and was surprised to see these numbers:

2007

Oops.

It looks like my trusty helmet has surpassed its life expectancy, which is not entirely a good thing.  While it does mean that I never bit the dirt in my buckskin-colored helmet (a very good thing!), it also means that the years of heat, sweat, and grime have taken their toll and possibly left my head not as well protected as it should have been while astride my horse.  I probably bought that helmet some time during 2007, during my first year with Harley, so although it may not have survived seven years exactly on my head, it has certainly been a part of me for more than five.  With this revelation, I embarked on a new helmet search.

My priorities for a schooling helmet are simple: safety, comfort, and room for my long hair.  I selected my last helmet, because it had an adjustable fit and a "pony-tail port".  This was a wonderful solution to the problem of having one's hair get tangled in the helmet dial.  While I like the option to minutely adjust the fit of my helmet, there are some really nice helmets out there that do not have dials and I am not exactly sharing my helmet with anyone, so I branched out to some brands that I have never worn before.

New brand, style, and color on the left!  My old helmet on the right.


I decided to give the Tipperary Sportage a whirl.  I selected size medium in navy blue and waited axniously for my new helmet to arrive.  In less than a week it was in my hands and on my head in the kitchen. 

My first impression: I love it!

The helmet was comfortable and fit my head right out of the box.  No adjustments of the padding were necessary.  Although the helmet lacks a pony-tail port, my hair can be secured just below the helmet with no problem.  I love how this helmet covers more of the back of my head and fits snugly, but without pressure points.  It almost feels like I am wearing a pillow on my head.  Seriously.

Evidence of the test ride.

Harley approves of rider safety.


With two rides under my helmet, I can honestly say that my first impression is sticking.  I think this helmet is more comfortable than my last one ever was, even when new.  We will see if I miss the larger visor when the sun is high, but, so far, I am really liking my new "head pillow"!

In the new helmet!

22 comments:

  1. I love it! You look so cute in it too. Harley is his adorable self in the pictures as usual.

    Helmet fit is so important. I like the ones that cover more of your head in the back for safety. Some of the newer ones just seem to sit on top of the head and offer no protection in the back. Wear it in good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Here's to five more years in a comfy helmet.

      Delete
  2. I need to replace mine too... will look into the Tipperarys, but I think the shape isn't flattering for my head.

    It would be nice to have safety + cuteness... like you and Harley!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The helmet design definitely has to please you since you will be in a working relationship for many years. Enjoy shopping for a guilt-free, truly necessary horse item!

      Delete
  3. I too waited a bit long to replace my helmet. I hate buying a new helmet but always end up with one I like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to forget unless the helmet suffers a fall.

      Delete
  4. Safety First! I'm glad you found a comfy one on the first try. You're stylin' now! I love Harley's silly face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a couple of those and love them for summer rides! Glad you like yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably need a new helmet as well. Mine isn't five years old but I have taken a fall or two from Winston in it. I like your new one a lot. Very stylish -- and, more importantly, it sounds very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check them out. I believe there a couple different models to choose from.

      Delete
  7. First of all, love seeing you on your pony. Secondly, I LOVE TIPPERARY! Glad you like it. They're so snug and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes! Helmet shopping hopefully means more riding ahead.

      Delete
  8. Looks awesome on you! Keep me posted on how you like it, I have to replace my Charles Owen in June (5 years), so I am on the hunt for reviews already. I think I'm going to go for function vs. fashion this time - when I bought the CO eventing wasn't on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my toklat says 2005 inside. my newer toklat says 2012, but the visor is so ridculously small it doesn't keep the rain or sun out of my eyes. i love your new helmet, but don't like how the tipperaries have their brand in so many places on the helmet. maybe i can black-ink out the words on the straps...would definitely need an additional visor. i like the grey model a lot. *ponder* thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I have an Ovation, but I didn't know they had a life expectancy so I never looked for a date stamp. I definitely like the look of yours, and love the pillow concept ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you remember where you read the 5-year rule thing? I was discussing this today and would like to read up on it. My helmet is creeping up on 5 years old, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup.

    http://www.riders4helmets.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or add to my memoirs with some of your own.