Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Products of Dressage

Dressage is about working the basics.  A little more supple.  A bit straighter.  More forward.  Rocked back.  Relaxed.  And then apply all of these to transitions and each gait.  Figures and movements are the tools.  There is always something to polish.  Always something to look to next.  I love it.  The incremental changes that lead to noticeable improvement.  The kind that makes people say,

"My...he has come a long way."

To me, this is equestrian art.  Enjoy the process.

See the products in a practical light.

My horse will finally canter slowly on the trail.
My horse will reverse on his haunches at a dead end.
My horse knows to rebalance when I take on the reins.
My horse pushes up banks and gently steps down them.
My horse will slow up leading four cantering horses.
My horse bends around trees. 
My horse is easier to ride.
My horse listens to my thoughts.
And wants to.

How could a horse girl ask for anything more?

6 comments:

  1. Amen! I'm still waiting for "my horse will canter slowly on the trail" - he's still got yee-haw on the brain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great way of putting it! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every horse can benefit from dressage and Harley looks great. I love it when all the work comes together. "My...he's come a long way."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear hear! There's a reason why dressage should be the basis of every training program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright!

    The quotation was spoken by my barn owner. She jokes they we used to be a "blur" around the ring and on the trail. She is only half joking. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or add to my memoirs with some of your own.