Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Pony Rides, Flies, and Hoof Trimming Limbo

The good is that Sweet Pea finally got to ride Harley again.  The bad is that I haven't been in the irons in about a month.  And the ugly is the flies.

Sweet Pea has been asking to visit and RIDE Harley.  Getting her to the barn is easier said than done.  As if by magic, one day we found ourselves with a free afternoon, reasonable temperatures (Did you know that New Jersey is a long lost tropical region?), and it wasn't time for anyone to eat or nap (baby, toddler, and Harley included there).   Sweet Pea's helmet fit for the first time without extra padding and so did her new leopard-print barn boots.  Harley was up for anything and baby was too.  What an excellent combination!

Love.









My favorite part was when she said, "Don't hold me".  Brave girl.  It was also my least favorite part, because I did not want to let go!  I feel confident riding, but putting my small child up there is a different experience.  I kept my cool and so did Harley, but I was secretly relieved when she said she was done.

This was also Sweet G's first barn visit and meeting with Harley!  She was very interested and cooed pretty much the entire time we were there.






Unfortunately, I am finding it very difficult to ride right now.  I still trim Harley's feet and that is ruling my barn time.  I only have the time and energy to trim just his fronts or just his hinds and his feet grow so quickly that I have to trim every two weeks.  I only use a rasp, which is part of why I trim so often.  So there is my limbo.  I get stuck trimming his feet every weekend and miss out on riding.  My second baby is still very young and nurses often so leaving her is difficult.  I usually reserve that for Daddy only, hence the weekends.

As for the flies, they are just awful and Harley is delicious so he is miserable.  I finally broke down and ordered a fly sheet, but I have the same problem of not being able to get to the barn often enough to check on him.  This is why I absolutely cannot put him in fly boots. We will see if the sheet is a possibility management-wise.  My poor horse hides in the shed or stomps in his feed dish all day to avoid them.  The repellent is always short-lived relief.  Why do the bottles say eight hours of protection?  Try eight minutes.

12 comments:

  1. Flies are the worst. Your girls are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures of your two beautiful girls... <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks very happy up there and Harley seems to like it too. It's hard to find time when your children are young. It gets easier but can be a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did seem happy. Especially about the carrots afterward. I am teaching my daughter to toss him the carrots over the fence until she older. Safety first!

      Delete
    2. He did seem happy. Especially about the carrots afterward. I am teaching my daughter to toss him the carrots over the fence until she older. Safety first!

      Delete
  4. The babies are both adorable. Sweet Pea has great riding form! Must get that from Mom.

    It's hard managing time right now but maybe in the Fall it will be easier. The flies are awful and there's just no dealing with them. We use fly masks and they have fans in the run-in sheds that they basically stand under all day. I hate flies, mosquitoes and ticks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall is great riding weather. I hope your are right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One horse crazy little girl down, one to go. ;D

    I use a fan, fly strips and those fly bait water traps in Val's run in shed. He wears a mask and sheet when it's not 85 - 90, degrees + humidity. The funk grows so fast in these conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem. The temperatures and humidity have been so high. The sheet is supposed be breathable, but I just don't know.

      Delete
  7. Ah how adorable! Hopefully you'll get more barn time as baby gets older. They're only this little for such a short time. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or add to my memoirs with some of your own.