Saturday, January 28, 2012

Riding with the Wind

One time a couple years ago, we had a really windy afternoon when I visited the barn to work with Harley.  I had decided days ahead of time that I wanted to lunge that particular day.  When the barn owner saw me lungeing my horse, she said that she was really glad that I was not riding him.  I wondered why.  I have ridden Harley on windy days and he is the same as he is on non-windy days.  If the wind is dangerously high, then we don't ride because inclement weather is not safe under the best circumstances, but on a regular day that happens to be windy, I usually stick to my plans to ride.

I know that some riders use an indoor on windy days, but I do not have access to one.  I am not sure if I understand the rational for riding in an indoor on really windy days anyway, because the creaking and knocking sounds of the building bracing against the wind is probably worse than just riding outdoors.  I guess you do avoid dust or debris being blown around; that part makes sense.

Harley is not a "leaf" meaning that he doesn't get frantic just because the wind is blowing, but he isn't an uninspirable creature either.  When I took him out to ride yesterday, a very windy day, his legs and belly were already splattered with mud.  Thinking out loud, I asked him what he had been up to.  The nice young lady working in the barn said that he had been "cantering all over the place" while she was out cleaning the paddocks.  Oh, so Harley does like to run around in the wind.  He was also pretty bright-eyed and electric in the cross-ties.  He looked like a horse who was feeling really good and ready for anything.  Did I mention that he has gained weight?  (Happiness!)

For a split second, I thought about not riding.  The wind was pretty high, almost borderline as far as safe riding conditions go, but I hadn't ridden all week and I just needed to be in the saddle.  From the looks of Harley, he was itching for some action too and clearly had plenty of energy to burn.  Then I remembered that I do not change my riding plans, because the wind is blowing.  Harley is a horse, not a leaf!

So we went out and we rode.  Harley's mane whipped up and fell on the opposite side of his neck, giving him a very romantic, salon-treated look.  Even though the wind was blowing, I still needed to use leg to encourage him to be forward and carry himself through the transitions.  He gave me some nice, long and low stretchy trot with plenty of push from behind.  On long reins, he felt like he was gliding around the ring.  He was smooth and easy.  Not once did I worry about him suddenly scooting to the side, bolting or losing his mind.  Ironically, when we did canter, he was less apt to jump around and try to change leads for fun then he did on windless days.  Interesting.  We also did several canter to trot transition with me remaining in sitting trot.  His back stayed up and it wasn't until later that I realized I had stayed seated through the transitions.  I think we are making progress.  Rushing into the trot and anticipating the next canter is not his knee-jerk reaction anymore.

On our last canter circuit, I felt that he wanted to drop behind my seat (an indication that he wanted to try to change), so I projected with my upper body more (not back though!) and kept my legs on and my seat firmly closed in the saddle.  Harley cantered a few strides that were downright magical.  His forehand came up a lot and I could almost see his front legs articulating in slow motion during the increased hang time.  We transitioned to a very balanced, very easy trot with a huge "Good Boy, Harley!"

As we cantered down the long side, Harley's mane whipped up and I had to close my eyes for a few strides to avoid the gusts.  I know that horses can get excited in the wind.  It was windy for the last trail ride that I went on and two horses who were normally Steady-Eddies bucked and got hyped up.  Harley did prance a little, but kept his feet on the floor and clearly he has no qualms about charging around his paddock when the wind is blowing.  I think that it is different when I am in the saddle.  I like to think that it means he trusts me, I trust him, and he wants to keep me on board.  I know that this type of trust, with an enormous animal, should always be combined with a healthy dose of caution and reality.  Things can and do go wrong.  My friend broke her ankle on that windy trail ride, because her usually quiet trail horse decided to pop his butt a few too many times.  Really, once is too many.

But for me and Harley, riding with the wind can be a blast.







Photos from a fun day in October.

14 comments:

  1. It's nice to have a horse who isn't bothered by the wind and in fact seems to like it. Sounds like a great ride. Harley is a great horse. I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I love his color.

    I have to confess that I don't ride in high wind conditions anymore. The worst falls I've had were caused by either storms moving in or high winds. I remember one particular time I was riding outdoors in the wind and a jump blew down and hit my horse in the side. He in turn jumped sideways and spun and off I came. That one hurt because the ground was frozen. It was the last time I rode Erik in the wind. He was Mr. Spooks-At-Anything to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grey Horse Matters! He is a cutie pie.

      The sky gets really dark when a storm is rolling in. I wouldn't ride then either. You were brave to ride Erik even though he might spook, although having a jump fall down is a valid reason to startle. I hope that you were not hurt.

      Delete
  2. I don't have qualms about riding in the wind either. Under saddle time is focus and work time, they need to learn to ignore distractions and knuckle down to get the job done. Wind shouldn't change those rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Lisa. As long as we are talking windy and not actually a storm, the horse should learn to keep his focus on his rider.

      Delete
  3. I've always wondered that possibly some horses are a bit more spooky in the wind because maybe they can't hear or smell as they would like. I'm not really fond of the wind in general, it seems to make me edgy. Maybe it's the pressure difference, who knows.

    I can just picture Harley running around at liberty in his field. (with help from your photos...) Sounds like a great ride too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a possibility, Mary.

      Harley is nearly 14, but young at heart. He still likes to play around. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you two had a great day :o) Most of ours are pretty steady no matter what, although some days if there is a big storm headed our way the girls get a little goosey (a couple times I've thought about asking the weatherman if he'd like their input *grin*).

    Love the photo series at the bottom; Harley is such a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen!

      I think that horses do make great weather vanes. ;)

      Delete
  5. In junior high I wrote a poem about riding in the wind, not that it was any good, but one line has stuck with me all these years later, "I reluctantly re-enter reality." Isn't that how it feels when you finish one of those kinds of rides? :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cool that you remember your poem and I totally agree!

      Reality stinks. Horse euphoria is much better!

      Delete
  6. I try not to let the wind turn me off from riding. My horses live out 24/7 so I figure they should be used to a little wind by now. Though, to be entirely honest I won't get on my mare if it's really blustery...

    Congrats on your super nice canter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better safe than sorry and Gwen is a sensitive flower, as you put it.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous horse! Just found your blog, and it took me a little while to see that he is a QH. What an awesome example of the versatility of the breed :-) Very good descriptions on your riding, btw. The visuals remind me of Centered Riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa!

      My current teacher is a Senior instructor for Connected Riding which has strong roots in Centered Riding.

      Welcome to my memoirs!

      Delete

Leave a comment or add to my memoirs with some of your own.