Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter Musings and Saddle Flashback

The day was sunny and clear on Monday, but the temperatures were below freezing for all but a few hours in the middle of the day.  I was off of work and itching to ride, but when I saw how much Harley was enjoying his day off, I decided just to let him chill and relax.  Besides, the ground is hard and not conducive to dressage work in the arena.  We could go for a walk in the woods, but the temperatures did not make it all that inviting.  Removing Harley's blanket and robbing him of his warm little pocket of air did not seem like a very considerate thing to do, so instead I just cleaned his feet, took some pictures, and gave him some love.  As far as I could tell, he was more than pleased with this arrangement.

Harley is considering working part-time as a blanket model.

I am happy to report that his new blanket is holding up very well.  He is wearing the Landa Freestyle Turnout by Weatherbeeta.  This past weekend was the first time that it was cold enough for him to wear the blanket during the day (instead of just at night).  I was so pleased by how content and happy he was, even when the wind was blowing and the temperatures were in the twenties.  If I place my hand under his blanket, there is a nice layer of warm air trapped between his fur and the blanket.  His blanket is not heavy, but seems to be doing a good job of working with his winter coat, which is thick and fluffy.  I removed the leg straps when I first bought the blanket, because they looked like they would cause an uncomfortable wedgie.  The blanket stays put without them and does not hinder his movement.  I can tell that he lays down in the blanket, but, so far, the pine needles, sand, and dirt come off easily with a little brushing.

I do not like winter, but I will combat the cold to ride if the ground still has some give.  Here we are in January 2009:

Harley always looks cute...

...but I am cringing, because these pictures were taken in our old saddle.  Notice the inverted neck and dropped back.

Meanwhile, I am either tipped forward or thrown high to the sky when rising to the trot.  My stirrups are up a couple holes, because this helped me compensate for my tack.  When they were long, my leg would swing back while my upper body swung forward.  Not a fun way to ride.  I also noticed that Harley's lifted diagonal pair is not matched up in this shot.  The saddle was blocking his shoulders.

This post has accidentally become a saddle analysis!  Here you can see how I am jamming my foot and heel.  I am bracing to prevent myself from being tipped forward, which happened habitually in this tack.  I started doing a couple hundred crunches a night, but did not understand why I could not stay upright.  Little did I know, I was fighting the tack!

This picture actually makes me sad, because Harley is making such a good effort despite his uncomfortable saddle.  So am I!  By the end of 2009, I had sold this saddle and we were riding in the much loved Albion.  I will write a saddle journey post at some point.  The trouble is that it is not an experience that I want to relive in writing or otherwise any time soon!

Much happier picture.  I feel better now.

Despite the recent onset of actual winter-like temperatures, I am very grateful that there is not fluffy white-stuff on the ground.  Fluffy white-stuff is not my friend and makes life very frustrating.  So I will take the sunny, cold days with a smile and some hay for Harley.  Warm riding weather will be here before we know it.  I am sure that we will be able to squeeze in a few days before spring.


*Kiss*

14 comments:

  1. Having a saddle that fits both you and your horse makes such a difference! I had a saddle that didn't work well and it was impossible to ride well. Tack is so important -- and I'm praying that Jackson's brand new saddle fits Winston...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winston is so gorgeous! I hope your saddle-fitting journey with him is quick and painless.

      Before my Albion, I really had no idea how much a saddle can affect one's riding, let alone the horse. Thank goodness for short flaps!

      Delete
  2. Yay blogger has finally let me post a comment. I have been reading all your recent posts but alas not able to comment. The new blanket looks fantastic. They are what I use in our winters down here in New Zealand. They cope a fair bit with ALOT of rain and mud. Our horses are 24/7 turnout for the most part so a good rug is essential. Harley looks as cute as ever. Hope you manage a ride soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I am sorry that blogger was not being good to you. That is frustrating and then I do not get to hear from you! Glad that's working.

      I am glad that you approve of the blanket. This is my first year blanketing, so I do not have much to compare it to.

      As for the ride, me too.

      Delete
  3. Well, Harley should definitely be a blanket model. He's just too handsome for words.

    I can see how you were frustrated with your old saddle. A couple hundred crunches at night??? Wow! That's what I call dedication.

    Glad your new Albion is working out for you. I have a few of them in different sizes for different horses and love them. I sympathize with you on saddle fitting, I had a very hard time fitting Dusty and Blue. They wound up with a Black Country custom saddle. My Albion dressage is for sale. Such a shame I only rode in it five times before my horse Erik passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quit doing the crunches when I realized that it was the saddle. I felt like an invalid. Why do I keep tipping forward even when I am thinking about it? I just could not sit down in that saddle. I look like I am floating above the tack.

      I have read good things about Black Country saddles, as well. I am sorry about your Erik. That is very sad.

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain. My horse was literally (yes literally) running away from my Crosby before I got the Ansur. Makes my stomach hurt to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saddle issues are very disheartening. At least you were able to listen to your horse and determine the problem. Your horses are lucky to have you listening.

      Delete
  5. Nothing quite like looking back to see how far you have come. What was that slogan again? Oh yeah: You've come a loooooong way baby. *grin*

    I think one of the best things I ever did for my seat was to ditch the saddle and go bareback for awhile. Even at a walk (the faster gaits can make for unhappy horses - ow my back) it's amazing how much it will improve your posture and deepen your seat when you get back into the saddle (once you get your hands on the right tack, that is ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen!

    I couldn't agree more about bareback. I rode in a bareback pad for a good amount in 2009, while I was in saddle limbo. I was shocked by how much easier it was to ride Harley, walk, trot, and canter. It did wonders for my seat and made me feel like a kid on my pony again. I still take out the bareback pad once in a while for funsies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were on the same wavelength, posting-wise. ;)

      Thanks very much for your input on the saddle search over at my blog. The County I'm looking at is the same model I used to ride in at my trainers - a much older County Competitor. Best saddle I ever had my butt in. Effortless position for me and fit very comfortably on almost all of the horses at her barn. Apparently at some point in the nineties County tried to modern them up, adding big thigh blocks and other "improvements"...

      I can return this saddle if needs be, and it's in my budget. Unfortunately I can't count on getting much of anything for my current saddle. :(

      As was said previously in the comments - there's always bareback!

      Delete
    2. My sentiments exactly! A return policy is a wise choice, just in case, but I am glad that you have already tested and enjoyed the saddle. I appreciate a bare bones saddle, too. I used to ride in a Stubben Tristan, which was basically a slap of leather and a pencil knee roll, if that. My Albion is also old-school: an Original Comfort. The thigh blocks are minimal, because I have learned that all large blocks are good for are "blocking". Whose idea was that anyway?

      Delete
  7. That is why pictures are SO GREAT to compare things too!! We are still bareback and I've yet to conquer our saddle woes, although I have a beautiful Barefoot treeless just waiting for Laz to be sound enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Kristen!

    If the Barefoot saddle works for Laz, then more power to you. Hopefully his rehab will continue in the right direction and you will riding him before you know it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or add to my memoirs with some of your own.