Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Riding Video: July 2011 Connection and Contact in Trot

This is a companion video to the July 2011 video about Contact, Sitting Trot, and Connection.  We are playing around with rein length and energy in his trot after our stretchy warm up.  I allow him to give input regarding the length of rein that he wants.  When he finds a comfortable length, you will see his topline stretch and his poll reach forward over the bit.  This gives him room to move freely, keeps his throatlatch area open, and encourages him to chew and swallow as he trots along.  This is very different from drawing the bit back to "set his head", a phrase which I consider bad words in riding and dressage.


Harley's power trot!

The optimum rein length also allows him to move freely forward and add more power to his trot.  There is a positive feel in the reins, but his head placement is not static.  He adjusts his head carriage to suit his energy level or way of going.  I like to allow rather than prescribe this for the horse.  When we have a working conversation down the rein I can feel the hindlegs in my hands and seat.  This is an amazing feeling of energy, power, and delicacy all at the same time.  Too much hand or seat will squash it, too little connection will leave him hanging with the energy spilling out every which way.  We need just the right balance of leg and hand, a touch here, a release forward there, then a holding again.  Like a kind yet firm handshake with a friend.  Maybe you know what I mean?

Every moment of this ride is not perfect, but there are segments here and there where I really like the connection we are sharing.  I believe that we have improved our ability to hold this conversation with more consistency since July.  You may find that I am a little more forgiving with my arms and elbows than strict equitation dictates.  However, my priority is to allow my horse to move with a long neck and stretch to the bit.  He used to be and still can be very tight, so I like to err on the side of too loose.  Since his confidence in the bridle and suppleness has improved, I have been able to keep my elbows for longer periods of time without feeling like I am blocking him.

8 comments:

  1. Looking very nice - the concept of "allowing" is so important - it's one I've been exploring, particularly with Dawn, who can tend to become too forward but who needs the freedom to move without being cramped on the front end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate- I really enjoy your riding philosophy. Allowing and being the leader of the pair is difficult to balance in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :0) (super long day ... no talk left ...) Had fun watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen- I hear you! And thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean by a firm handshake. ...or like the tension when you push a shopping cart. It is so important to let the horse stretch to the contact - especially when warming up. And, it's all about the conversation anyway - you know how much he needs.
    Harley's mane is so beautiful. Do you french braid it when you show? I can't imagine ever pulling it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Annette. The shopping cart analogy is a good one.

    I did French braid his mane in May for the only show that we have attended in quite some time. I am kind of waiting to see how long it can get. I used to pull it, but now have even dropped the bridle path. I cannot wait for the last short section to grow in, as he is sporting a partial mohawk. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's quite the thinker and communicator isn't he? I can definitely tell you two keep the conversation going for the whole ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! He is very fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or add to my memoirs with some of your own.